Donations can mean financial support, or giving something physical such as clothing or other items we need. Have a look at our wishlist to see the latest items needed at Lotus.
The simplest, quickest and easiest way to make a financial donation, either regular or one-off, is to make a bank transfer directly to our bank account. We now have individual bank accounts to receive Mongolian Tugrug, US Dollars, Australian Dollars and Euros. Please contact us if you would like to make a financial donation so we can give you the necessary bank details.
If you would like to donate from the UK, in GBP, you can use our Virgin Mongey Giving page. This website takes so fees, so every penny you donate here comes directly to Lotus.
Here is an idea of the regular costs associated with the running of the Centre.
- USD$250 Staff member’s average monthly wage
- USD$150 Providing heating and electricity for one month to one house
- USD$100 One truck of coal (We receive up to ten trucks of coal each month during the very harsh Mongolian winter)
- US$20 One sack of rice (Twelve sacks are used each month)
Please don’t send any items to us by post without asking first! We don’t want anything to get lost or to go to waste. Our needs can change rapidly and the post in Mongolia is notoriously bad, so we would like to be prepared in advance. Thank you.
We prefer monetary donations because we aim to support the Mongolian economy and local people. It is also often cheaper to buy things here than in Europe, America or Australia. Shipping items is also difficult, expensive and can get lost. We are usually charged customs and charges on packages, even if they are second hand. Although we do gladly accept second hand donations, please consider carefully before choosing to send your items. Is there a charity in your country that needs these donations too? Take care of your community as well and look after the environment by keeping it local! In addition we feel that if we can make the decision on each individual purchase there will be zero wastage.
The Mongolian economy, although growing is still very disproportionate. There are many poor communities and families that still struggle to make ends meet. The mining industry in Mongolia gives a skewed vision of the wealth of Mongolia. As far as possible Lotus Children’s Centre supports those who are less well off by purchasing items from local markets, herders or artisans. Our support may keep some families off the streets so we wish to continue to support the local economy in this way.
Where your donation goes:
- Providing food, shelter and support for up to 80 children located at our main Centre in Gachuurt, our apartment for our children with special needs in Ulaanbaatar and an apartment in Erdenet for our older teenage boys
- Feeding 80 children is a massive responsibility to ensure the children grow and develop properly
- Winter in Mongolia is long and harsh, with temperatures dropping to as low as -40 degrees, so it is vital to ensure that the children are kept warm in their rooms throughout these extreme temperatures. Naturally, our heating costs will rise considerably during the winter months
- Providing support and opportunities for further education to allow the children to make the most of their potential.